Kids at risk: The Number of Kids Accidentally Taking Marijuana Sweets At Home Is Growing!

A new study published on Tuesday, January 3, 2023, found that the number of cases in which young children swallowed a marijuana-laced food item at home has increased over the previous years. The study, which was published in the journal Pediatrics, found that “there has been a steady increase in pediatric edible cannabis exposures over the past five years, with the potential for severe harm.”

In addition to highlighting the need for clinicians to be aware of this in their practice, the study also stressed the significance of the opportunity it presented for education and prevention. Dr. Tweet says in the film that many THC products “resemble foods that may easily be misinterpreted by a youngster as simply another snack,” such as gummies, chocolates, and cookies.

Over the course of the studied five-year period, there was also an increase in the proportion of poison-control reports involving Marijuana intake. Only two out of every one thousand submissions to the National Poison Data System (NPDS) in 2017 involved a youngster less than six who had consumed marijuana.

Kids at risk: The Number of Kids Accidentally Taking Marijuana Sweets At Home Is Growing!

In 2021, 3.6% of all NPDS reports concerned minors’ marijuana use. Researchers were only able to learn the outcome of around half of the 5,000 confirmed cases of youth marijuana use in the study. Nearly 600 kids, or about 8% of the total, were hospitalized in critical care units, with CNS (central nervous system) depression being the most common cause of admission.

More than a third of all patients were seen in emergency departments, and over 15% were admitted to non-critical care units. CNS depression, tachycardia, vomiting, ataxia (reduced coordination), and agitation were the most frequently reported adverse reactions.

The study suggests that one reason youngsters are especially vulnerable to the effects of edible Marijuana is that they may unwittingly ingest more than the authorized dose. A child’s smaller frame may also be a factor. “Several 10-mg-THC doses could be dispersed across a single chocolate bar.

Kids at risk: The Number of Kids Accidentally Taking Marijuana Sweets At Home Is Growing!

A child wouldn’t know when to stop eating since they wouldn’t understand the concept of portion control “research concluded. Children are at a higher risk for enhanced toxicity from these exposures since their smaller weight means they must take in a higher milligram/kilogram dose.

Dr. Tweet urged parents to be more watchful, and he advocated for new regulations to reduce the perceived attractiveness and availability of Marijuana edibles among children. Dr. Tweet argued that when these substances are disguised as sweets, such as candies or cookies, parents don’t worry as much about their children accidentally ingesting them.

Kids at risk: The Number of Kids Accidentally Taking Marijuana Sweets At Home Is Growing!

However, “[this] ought to be viewed by the general public as a pharmaceutical.” “Keep them in childproof containers and out of the reach of children and dogs,” the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention advises regarding marijuana products (CDC). The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention advises notifying a doctor or health department or a local or regional poison control center if THC-laced food items are mistakenly consumed.

Total
0
Shares
Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Posts